Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
November 11, 2012
Coming off a 70-65 season-opening loss to Bucknell, Purdue looks to rebounded Sunday at 2 p.m., when it hosts Hofstra as part of the 2K Sports Classic.
It is unknown at this point whether leading scorer Terone Johnson will be able to play after missing the opener, but if he can't go, freshman-heavy Purdue will again play without it junior standout against a Hofstra team coming off a 91-62 loss to Monmouth.
The Pride have some talent, but much of it will be sitting out in Mackey Arena.
Hoftra has three transfers who are not yet eligible. Connecticut transfer Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and Penn State transfer Taran Buie will be eligible Nov. 16; Fresno State transfer Daquan Brown becomes eligible Dec. 22. Hawaii transfer Shaquille Stokes was ruled immediately eligible for this season.
Hofstra, from the Colonial Athletic Conference, was 21-12 last season, its first under Coach Mo Cassara.
It does have some size. Six-foot-8, 240-pound forward Stephen Nwaukoni gradded 11 rebounds against Monmouth. Freshman forward Jimmy Hall, 6-7, had 11 points and 12 boards in his first college game.
G: Ronnie Johnson
G: Anthony Johnson
F: D.J. Byrd
F: Donnie Hale
C: Sandi Marcius
F: Jordan Allen
F: David Imes
C: Stephen Nwaukoni
G: Stevie Mejia
G: Kentrell Washington
About Purdue: Roster | Schedule | Statistics (2011-12)
About Hofstra: Roster | Schedule | Statistics (2011-12)
Game time: 2:05 p.m.
Radio: Purdue Sports Network (95.7 FM locally)
TV: Big Ten Network Digital
Internet: GoldandBlack.com subscribers can follow along live with our in-game blog, "Game Day Live."
Five things to think about
1. How does Purdue's untested youth respond to Friday night's loss? Were there lessons learned that can be immediately applied or will adversity breed adversity?
2. Can Terone Johnson make a go of it? If so, can he be effective?
3. Can Purdue assert itself on the boards the way it is going to need to this season? It got outrebounded by Bucknell in the opener.
4. Can the Boilermakers make their foul shots? Purdue is now a team best equipped to get the ball to the rim and penetrate the lane. Thus, its free throw shooting could be even more important this season.
5. Can Purdue force more turnovers? It would be nice for its pressure to turn into more mistakes by the opponent to turn into easy offense for the Boilermakers.
GoldandBlack.com Prediction: Assuming Purdue is again short-handed, Terone Johnson will be missed.
But the Boilermakers might not need him in this one. Maybe it's better to rest him up for Villanova.
Purdue 75, Hoftstra 58
GoldandBlack.com Mobile for your iPhone | GoldandBlack.com Mobile for your Android
Check out GoldandBlack.com on | |